July 9, 2011

Books & Nooks

Summer break brings the promise of grading-free evenings devoted to reading.  Last month, I made the leap and bought a Nook Simple Touch e-reader.  Deciding on my first big Nook purchase wasn't as simple as I'd thought and I agonized for about two weeks.  My Nook wishlist had become quite expansive both in numbers and genre.  My final decision for my first official e-book: The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.  This one has been on my "To Read" list for quite some time, but the birth of my second child and my return to the classroom took over my time for reading.  Focusing on happiness feels like a great place to launch my summer reading.

Following up The Happiness Project, I'm very excited to get into Sir Ken Robinson's Out of Our Minds.  It's not yet available on e-book, but I've got the hardback in hand.  My background is in the arts prior to becoming an educator and Sir Ken taps into my inner-artist and arts education advocate when he speaks about education and creativity.  This clip from RSAnimate Changing Education Paradigms made me laugh, nod in agreement, and stop and think.  I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.



Considering both my Nook acquisition and Sir Ken's points about educational reform and the purpose of education, I wonder how teachers are using e-readers, tablets (like iPad and its Android cousins), and Netbooks in their instruction.  Are the e-readers and tablets purposeful in the elementary classroom?  In such a literacy-driven curriculum, how do teachers incorporate this kind of technology with reading and writing?

Your thoughts and comments are welcomed.  After all, it isn't ICE.T without the Collaboration.
Now, off to read with a nice tall glass of iced tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment